Experienced-senior UI Designer
Who we are
PikPok is Aotearoa New Zealand’s oldest and largest video game developer and publisher. We strive to successfully provide rich game experiences, crafted by talented teams who are curious, take ownership, and collaborate well. We are committed to providing a safe and supportive workplace that enables our teams to make games which will be enjoyed worldwide across mobile, desktop, and console.
About the role
We’re looking for a skilled, experienced or senior UI Designer who works well within a highly creative, team-focused environment. You’ll have a sound understanding of UI/UX design principles and will be able to help create intuitive interfaces that afford our players maximum enjoyment from our games. You’ll be comfortable with ideation and be able to work across a wide range of styles, genres, and platforms. You’ll need to be a confident and willing communicator — someone who appreciates and enjoys close collaboration and effective teamwork as a means to achieve consistently great results.
The UI Designer’s responsibilities include:
- Contributing directly to UI/UX art and design on PikPok projects under guidance of senior staff and project leads, including but not limited to:
- Designing and developing screen mockups, assets, effects, and animation.
- Laying out screens in-engine.
- Producing flow designs and mockups.
- Designing creative, effective solutions to project UI/UX problems, and working closely with other disciplines to ensure those designs are clear, practical, and meet the needs of the game design and constraints.
- Working constructively with other artists, designers, and management to help solve issues and improve the craft of UI and UX within PikPok.
- Experience in designing and implementing UI within Unity and/or Unreal Engine. Note, this is a hard requirement - candidates who do not meet this criteria will not be considered.
- Proven capability in core graphic design practice: layout and composition, typography, colour theory, etc.
- Proven capability in fundamental UX design practice: wireframing, empathy, and presentation.
- Developed skills in general image creation and manipulation — you should be able to work in Photoshop to a high quality, production-ready standard.
- The ability to work effectively across a diverse range of styles.
- An eye for motion graphics, animation, and visual effects.
- Strong competency with Adobe CC and prototyping software such as Figma.
- Proficiency with Google Workspace.
- Familiarity with Agile development practices.
- A strong aptitude for developing new skills and expanding one’s creative knowledge.
- The ability to communicate effectively and with confidence.
- A positive ‘can-do’ attitude, great work ethic, and strong sense of initiative.
- A developed understanding of (and appreciation for) video games as a creative medium.
PikPok offers a wide range of great benefits, outlined on our careers page: https://apply.workable.com/pikpok/
If you'd like to know more about the role, further information can be found here: link.pikpok.com/3VTvjN8
To apply for this role please visit our careers page on https://apply.workable.com/pikpok/. Please include a covering letter with your application and a clickable link to your portfolio. If group work is included, ensure that you provide a detailed and accurate break down of your own contributions.