Electrical/Avionics Integration Engineer - Spaceplane
Dawn Aerospace is looking for a skilled and motivated person to join our spaceplane avionics team in Christchurch. You will be working closely with airframe and avionics sub-teams to implement harnessing, mechanical integration, and maintenance of both flight and ground-based avionics systems.
This is not your standard practical engineering or technician role. We are looking for candidates who can take initiative and problem solve with minimal direction. In future, there is the opportunity for the right person to grow within the programme and department, all the while contributing to our goal of achieving scalable, accessible and sustainable spaceflight.
What you will do:
- Mechanical integration: Installation and maintenance of physical avionics modules within the airframe. If capable, to also support the CAD design of avionics mounting systems and enclosures.
- Harness design and assembly: Assist avionics engineers with harness design, production and installation. Share management of the avionics cable schedule, as well as CAD and mockup routing.
- Testing: Support various tests for avionics subsystems. Tests include thermal, vibration, EMI, and load tests.
- Inspection and maintenance: Conduct inspections, such as aircraft ICAs. When required, perform maintenance and repair work on avionics systems.
- Procurement and tooling: Perform (and automate) the restocking and procurement for key avionics expendable items and COTS hardware. If required, to assist in the upgrading and upkeep of the electronics lab and workshop facilities.
- Personal development: The spaceplane team is a fast-paced, collaborative R&D environment. There are always more tasks that teams need help with, and opportunities to self-direct and develop skills across different specialisations.
What we would love you to have:
- 1-2 years experience with aircraft/automotive harness assembly and installation. Must be confident with lacing and terminating harnesses for MIL-Spec / automotive connectors to an accredited standard (ie. NASA STD 8379.4A, AC25-26, AC43.13-1b).
- 1-2 years experience with a CAD suite (ie. SOLIDWORKS).
- Experience with testing, troubleshooting and debugging electronic hardware.
- Proficiency with basic electrical laboratory equipment.
- Proven oral and written communication skills (English).
- Bachelors degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering or similar, or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability.
- Experience working with digital communication busses, such as CAN, Ethernet, RS-232, RS-485, USB, SPI, and I2C.
It would be great if you also had…
- Experience with the installation and termination and harnessing of RF systems.
- Experience with the repair and modification of printed circuit board assemblies (Ie. ECSS-Q-ST-70-28).
- Experience with high-reliability soldering practices (ie. ECSS-Q-ST-70-08C).
- Experience with the qualification of printed circuit boards (Ie. ECSS-Q-ST-70-10).
- Experience with the procurement of common electronics with electronics components distributors.
Important! If you think you have what it takes but are unsure that you check every box, we still want to hear from you.
If you are reliable, positive, can take the initiative, and are excited by the opportunity to be part of an innovative and high performing team, please apply using the form on this page.
About Dawn Aerospace
Every week we see new companies coming to market, using space-based technology in new and exciting ways we had never before imagined. Our industry is at the same inflexion point the internet was back when we went from dial-up to broadband, but there are some significant hurdles to overcome.
Dawn Aerospace was founded to redefine near-space transportation. Redefine how we deliver assets to space, position satellites on orbit and return things down to Earth to enable the vibrant and circular space economy of the future. To do this, we build scalable, accessible and sustainable spaceflight technologies – technologies that are sustainable for not just the foreseeable future, but the unforeseeable future.
Dawn Aerospace is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment with Dawn is decided based on merit, competence and qualifications and will not be influenced in any other manner.
Something looks off?